I’m three months in. As far as advice to others, I don’t have a whole lot. Unless the others happen to the same position I’m in. So I’m writing advice that was the most helpful to me, or I’ve picked up in my vast experience…
1. Be consistent. Don’t post multiple times in one week and then let it sit for months. Set a goal to post once a week, 3 times a week, once a day, something. Stick to it.
2. Break it up. Short paragraphs. A big block of text is annoying and hard to read.
3. Pictures! Use them! Don’t over use them! At least one picture a post, but keep photo-only posts limited, I want to hear what you have to say, not just see it!
4. Keep your page focused on your post. A ton of ads or flashy buttons draw attention away from YOU. Also music…just don’t.
5. SPELL CHECK
6. Proofread – Conversational speech is ok, but keep an eye on your grammar. (I need to listen to myself on this one a little more.)
7. SOCIAL MEDIA – Twitter, Facebook, Google+, StumbleUpon, whatever…but don’t only use it for blog promo. Build relationships, talk to people; if they get to know you, then they’re more likely to read what you write and come back for more.
8. Decide if you want to be big or just for friends and
family. Building a big blog takes time and more time. If you can’t spend daily chunks it’ll still grow, but more slowly than someone who can devote 3, 4 or 8 hours a day to it.
9. Check the news, add sections on Google news, or sparks on Google+, get alerts about certain keywords. Address what’s going on in the world as it applies to you. Stay current.
10. Be yourself. Don’t try to write what you think others want to here. It took me a bit just to let the posts flow, I edit them for grammar (most of the time) and spelling, but I try not to change the tone. It needs to sound like you, the real you. If someone doesn’t like it, you didn’t need them hanging around anyway.
Check out Will Work 4 Followers; going big, fast, secrets revealed…or just some other good ideas and tips!
Anything I forgot or you want to add, the comment box is just down there \/
Share your thoughts and come join me on Google+, Facebook, and/or Twitter!
This post is part of #SummerBlogSocial 2011 hosted by Liz and Jessica and is a response to Prompt 2, “If a real life friend approached you and said, “I want to start a blog. Can you give me a list of helpful tips?“, what 10 (or more) things would you tell your friend?”